Monday, November 26, 2007

my first holiday dress!

Some friends had a "Thanks for Nothing" leftovers party on Saturday, and I wore my new dress. Woo hoo!

I used Cyndi's awesome invisible zipper tutorial to install my first invisible zipper (thanks Cyndi!).

I couldn't get the plastic invisible zipper foot to work on my machine -- instead, it turns out that on [some? most? all?] Viking machines, the buttonhole foot has grooves for installing invisible zippers. (So if anyone wants a little Coates plastic invisible zipper foot set, let me know!)

This was also my first lined garment. Basically, I just made a second dress exactly like the first. I made it slightly shorter, in a lightweight silk fabric, and attached it at the neck, zipper, and armholes.

fabric: Purple Honeycomb (Echino, by Etsuko Furuya), from Superbuzzy
lining: green silk + cotton scraps
pattern: improvised, with inspiration from Simplicity 3744

More pictures and details on my blog.