Monday, February 06, 2006

Olga's intro

Hi, everyone! My name is Olga, and my knitting blog is Yo La Tejo. I'm so excited to join this group, and actually begin to put my new machine to use. My mom always sewed outfits for my sister and me growing up, and now that I think about it, I even had a little toy Singer that actually worked! But I never took up sewing seriously; I believed I couldn't even sew a straight seam. I hated the thought of making a cutting mistake, or of ripping out endless badly sewn seams.

But then I took up knitting, and I learned that frogging was just an accepted part of the process. For some reason, this didn't bother me, so when my thoughts finally turned back to sewing, I realized that ripping out seams really is just another form of frogging! Part of the process.

So I bought myself a Singer last fall, and have only managed to hem a few pairs of pants. I really don't know diddly squat, and am learning as I go (my manual and Sewing for Dummies are my best friends).

I'm going to make a skirt from Butterick 5488:



and I bought this Destination India fabric at Joann's on Sunday, at 40% off:



I noticed after I got it home, though, that two pattern repeats don't fit into a yard and a half, which is what I got. After the section you see above, there's this motif:



and then the second repeat of the first motif gets cut off. So I guess I'm just going to have to cut carefully!