Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Hello from NYC

Hi there, I'm Tamar from New York, by way of Israel. My blog is Studio Tamar, which is a name I shamelessly nicked from a ceramics studio in the basement of a building I once lived in. I've carted my poor sewing machine around with me since I acquired it in a teenage fit of wanting to make my own clothes, so that I wouldn't be dressed like everyone else. The truth is, I'm not sure I compeltely outgrew that impulse! My grandma taught me the basics, and I have made a few things over the years, but I'm still afraid of sewing wobbly seams and don't really understand sewing directions. Bias tape, anyone?

I'm going to be sewing the "Cute Skirt" #V023 from Favorite Things, the version without the gores or ruffle. I got two different fabrics for it:

Amy Butler
Amy Butler "Parrot Tulip" from Cia's Palette


"Donna" in burgundy from Reprodepot

I think for now I'm going to go with the top one (which is more green than blue in actuality), because the bottom one is kind of see-through and would need some kind of lining, I think. Maybe for the second go-round?


I have to confess that while I was ordering fabric, I got a few other great patterns. One of the them is also the Amy Butler "Parrot Tulip," but in citrus-y colors. I only got a little, and figured I could combine the scraps from the skirt with this to make a little handbag or something like that.

I am looking forward to sewing along with everyone!